Saturday, March 12, 2011

New house!

Apologies for the delay in posting, but things have been a bit crazy for the past two weeks or so.  Here are my thoughts on the move:

Things I Like About My New House:

1)  The view.
2)  The view (not 'The View').
3)  It keeps the rain out.
4)  The view.
5)  Darby never has to be on a leash again.  She is quite excited about this development.
6)  My bedroom has the greatest view I can imagine.  Once I get some shutters, and am not awakened at the first light of dawn, I will be much more appreciative.
7)  It's extraordinarily quiet.  One really doesn't realize how much ambient noise there is until you leave it for awhile.  Perhaps Thoreau was on to something (besides the shameless hypocrisy and not really being, as it were, in "nature.")

Things I Don't Like About My New House:

1)  Try as I might, I still haven't put away all my crap.
2)  Trash doesn't deliver/accept here. I am SOL for all my refuse needs.
3)  I am on a well system.  While I lived in Florida, I used water like it came from somewhere else and that I was in no way accountable for my proportional use of said aquatic dispensation.  When you're on a well system, your thought process changes accordingly.  While I wasn't wasteful in Florida, now I am very, very conscious about how much water I use and what I use while doing it.
4)  For some strange reason, ladybugs have infested the windowsills of my house.  Terminex told me that Clemson University releases them to kill aphids, pine beetles, and other "bad" insects.  All things considered, a ladybug infestation is a good problem to have.  Bad problem to have:  wasps get in as well, and they don't fare so well against ladybugs, and I tend to swell up like a baseball glove when confronted (and assaulted) by said stinging insects.  You do the math.  RAID is on-hand at all times.
5)  Internet doesn't *really* work here.  My brother and sister-in-law recently moved to rural KY to start an ecologically-sustainable farm.  I didn't pay much attention to their 21st century needs until I moved here.  Keep in mind, I live eight minutes from a major liberal arts university.  I live a 1/4 mile (if that:  I have actually/odometrically measured it at .19 miles) from a major road in my new town.  Despite the minimum of infrastructure it would require, Charter Communications has decided that they would not enjoy garnering ridiculous profits from rural consumers with few other options.  To put this in perspective in a world beset by economic turmoil:  I paid $100 for Charter to come and tell me that they didn't have a "line" that they could "tie in to."  Consider my lawyer well informed, Charter.  And I hope Direct TV, whose service actually does what they say it could do (and WHERE they said it could do it), destroys your archaic profit structure.  It must be a real challenge to run cable up 1/4 mile when you cover the majority of the Southeast.  Consider me, let's go with, perturbed.
6)  And this is really pithy.  And I know it seems that I don't appreciate the view I get to live with, day-in-and-day-out.  But after having furniture, et cetera delivered here, I am SICK of having to desribe how to follow a driveway to the end of the road.  people seem to have a fundamental misunderstanding of that simple concept.  We live in the United States.  We've established our right of way to function one particular way for the last 340 years.  I feel, as a professional driver, so should have probably mastered this concept by now.  If not, then, don't blame me.  You're the one that is misinterpreting simple driving rules in existence for centuries.

All that said, I love this place.  You couldn't get me out of here with dynamite and a bulldozer.  Although I shudder at the prospect of having to buy a mower that can function on a 30 degree angle, I still would not move for anything.

No comments:

Post a Comment