Thursday, June 2, 2011

Long overdue update...

So, several new developments here at ClubMcP.  I got a second dog, and she is the definition of sweetness and cute-iosity.  We're still working on housebreaking, but I think she understands the general idea.  She likes to have accident in bizarre places - she has pooed on top of the couch (twice) and she seems to think it appropos to pee on the sidewalk.  I've never seen a dog do that - even as a puppy - unless is was an absolute emergency.  But anyway, that's going well, and Dog #1 has been very patient (albeit grouchy) and hasn't acted aggressive other than the normal Alpha Dog duties of putting the whippersnapper in her place. They've even started playing together when we're outside, which is a very good sign.

House renovations have been going well.  For those of you in the area, I can highly recommend David Chastain for whatever needs to be done.  He has gone above and beyond the call of duty in installing all the random things that needed to be done around here - fixing the dog door, helping me fix the refridgerator, installing new countertops, raising the cabinets to where a six-foot man can actually use them without risking spinal injury by bending over too low, installing an antiqued silver backsplash, putting in a new sink...you get the idea.  David has been a godsend.

Seeing as how the job search is not going well at all, I've decided I'm going to try to write a fictionalized account of my M.A. research.  I want to stay busy in writing circles and, at the very least, it keeps my mind working and engaged in the field.  Basically, it's going to be about a street urchin in 1970s-1980s South Africa and his life in gangs and his activities throughout the anti-apartheid struggle.  I was even thinking about extending it generationally until it becomes basically a history of twentieth-century South Africa through the eyes of one family, similar to Charles Van Onselen's "The Seed is Mine" (not coincidentally, the best history book I have ever read [apologies to E.C.]).  Not terribly original (at least the twentieth century idea), but I still think it is something that is worthwhile and that I would have a fun time doing.  I don't have much faith in the traditional publishing companies, but I do have a friend in the publishing business who has published frequently with online presses, so perhaps that could be an option.

All of the beautiful weather we had in the spring has vanished.  The last two days have been high 90s, with heat indexes in the 100s.  Being the genius that I am, I decided that it would be a good idea to use the burn pile to burn off dead branches that the previous owners left behind on my property.  They left a pile about 5 feet high and twelve feet across of dead branches that is a haven for all sorts of serpent-kind.  Seeing as how I am fond of my dogs, I think it prescient to take care of that as soon as possible.  However, for those of you new to the burning business, fire is hot.  When it is already hot outside, the fire makes it very, very hot.  I should have taken the meat thermometer down there to get a reading, but I didn't.  I will not be so forgetful next time.  Because of the humidity, the beautiful view I have has been dampened down somewhat, but when the evening comes and the haze clears off somewhat, it is still beautiful.  My friend Trey came through on his way back to Winston-Salem a few days ago and was very sad to leave.  He even went on a bike ride up Paris Mountain, which turned into a 30-mile trek in 97 degree heat.  Trey is hard-core.  But back on the point, mornings are wonderful here too - the mist rises from the intermittent valleys and it is a beautiful sight to wake up to (even when one's new canine friend deems is necessary to wake one up at 5:45 - 6:00 every morning).  I guess if you have to get up that early and deal with a whining, crying, squirmy puppy, the least you can have is no messes to clean up and that beautiful view.

That's all from here now - more updates to come soon and hopefully some pictures to upload as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment